Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wife training.

Before coming to Zimbabwe I could not cook a thing! --- unless it came in a box and only required a cup of water. But all that has changed. Here is a list of things I have cooked in the past 2 weeks:
*white cake from scratch
*beef and gravy dish
*squash soup
*potato chips
*chicken and rice
*speghetti
*carrot bread
*rice pancakes
...and on and on.
So far my experience in Zimbabwe could be described as quality wife training!
------------

Naomi is feeling better, so I have been able to spend more time with her. She is proving to be a good friend and a lot of help as I adjust to this new culture. But although she is healthy and back at work again, I am not spending as much time with her as I thought. I have the freedom to move around to the different areas of the hospital and spend the day in the ward that needs/wants/accepts me. For example, yesterday I spent all day in the maternity ward. That was an awesome experience. The sister in charge wanted to teach me lots of things. She taught me how to draw blood and give shots, and even let me do some. I also wrote some discharge papers. And watching a delivery was hands-down the best part about the day. 

Our burn patient, Dambudzo, is doing well. Her swelling has got down a whole lot! She bends her legs and can move her arms with ease. and she is always talking up a storm. Now that I know a little more of the language, I can communicate with her a bit. I know God has her in His hands and I will be able to see her recovery progress during this next month before I return to the States. 

Some of us missionaries are going into "town" (aka Harare, the capital city) tomorrow to celebrate Naomi's birthday, get groceries, eat pizza, and renew our visas. We are invited to the US Embassy on Saturday for a 4th of July party. That should be fun and festive! =) 

Please pray:
-that our trip to Harare is safe.
-that my relationships with the locals grow stronger.
-that I can be an encouragement to the long term missionaries at the hospital.
-that God will make known His calling for my life.
-and that He will be glorified in all that I do.
 
Thank you all again for your encouraging notes and emails!

3 comments:

  1. erin i miss you. how are things going? when do you get back? because vcbc is having a teen/collage retreat and i want the doyles to go. have a great and safe time. love you
    chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    So glad your experience is going well. Thanks for all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    I haven't talked to you in forever! I've been looking back today through all my old blogs and found the zanga one and all our comments and posts and I was like " I wonder what erins up to now!?" When do you get back from Africa?

    ReplyDelete