Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A quick update

Hello all!

Saying goodbye to all of my friends at Karanda was really hard- especially to the Kids Club kids. My last day, the ladies in charge asked if I wanted to say anything to the kids. I started out strong, but when Vimbai started to translate for the little ones, I broke down crying. They all gave me big hugs as I left. It was especially hard saying goodbye to Tafadswa. He was still in the hospital, so he didn't hear that I was leaving. He does not speak English, nor does him umbuya, so I did my best to tell him using my broken Shona. Apparently it worked because when I asked a nurse aid to translate for me, he said that he aldready understood, though Tafadswa was still is old smiling self. Umbuya told me to return soon before her grandson got too big. He needs me as his "shamwari"-- "friend."

We spent the weekend at Imire Game Park and saw lots of elephants, rhinos, and giraffe. It was a COLD weekend. You may not believe it, but there was not a time when I wasn't wearing at least 3 layers of clothes, wrapped up in blankets, or sitting in front of a fire. And this is in Africa!

I have been in Harare, Zimbabwe's capital city, for a few days now. Relaxing. Spending time with other TEAM missionaries. Watching lots of field hockey.

My flight home leaves on Monday. and then I will keep myself busy showing everyone pictures, getting ready for RA training, seeing family and friends, and heading back to Orange City.

Be looking for pictures to be posted shortly after I return home!
Thanks!


Be praying:
*that God can use my time left in Zimababwe, even though I am not in Karanda
*that my journey home will go smoothly
*that I can affectively tell my story once I return
*the God will continually be working in the lives of the other SOS members

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! I hope that I am able to see you before you go back to college! I am praying for you, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, You have been in the prayers of the staff during AM devos at camp this summer. It's amazing how fast July went, at least for us at camp, and I'm sure your July went by fast too. We just are getting home from Inter. camp and have only Junior II left next week. It really hasn't been hot this summer, so that has given every one more energy. We are all getting tired though as we go into our last week. Sunday eve Kristal is going to have movie night at camp. We haven't done that at all this summer. SAD...
    Are you still planning on Teen Retreat? I know that Chad would be very excited to have you there.
    Hope your trip home goes well. We'll look forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete